Meditation. Are you seeing that word everywhere like I am? Everyone out there seems to be writing or talking about the benefits of it and it’s for good reason. Mediation rocks!
So then why are so many people NOT meditating??
It seems that the biggest barriers are that people don’t know how to do it or they have a pre-conceived idea that they need to sit in complete stillness for an hour contorted into some weird position to fully benefit.
So let me bust a big myth here. You can actually benefit from meditation in just 5-10 short minutes a day with no contortion required! And, if you find it hard to just clear your mind and get your OM on, there are a ton of guided meditations you can get for FREE on YouTube, or you can pick up guided meditation CDs at metaphysical bookstores, crystal shops or sometimes even health food stores . Plus, there are meditations for just about every situation, challenge or problem out there so you can make yours specific to what you are working through at this time in your life.
The trick is to create a routine around this because EVERYONE can find 5 minutes in their day. Maybe you do it first thing in the morning before you even get out of bed, or perhaps later in the evening is better as you wind down from your day. Or, you may need to play around with it a bit to see what works better for you.
There, now that we’ve cleared your schedule, here are 5 key reasons to add meditation to your daily routine.
- Self-Love – Meditation makes our minds more sensitive to what truly matters. The deeper we go in meditation, the closer we get to our higher self and gain a bigger perspective about life and appreciate the love within us. We find ourselves filled with self-love and achieve true joy.
- Insight – Getting out of everyday thinking allows us to see what’s important in our lives and what isn’t. This opens us up to awareness of a sudden understanding or solution that hadn’t occurred to us before, or we might gain clarity about a distressing situation.
- Concentration – When we think about the past or worry about the future we waste a LOT of emotional, mental and spiritual energy. Staying focused in the present and allowing ourself to notice and observe, enhances our concentration abilities.
- Healing – Meditation involves visualization and relaxation, both key tools in eliminating stress, tension and fear. As a result, meditation is shown to be effective for treating insomnia, weight control, stress reduction, fighting infections and chronic illnesses, strengthening the immune system, smoking cessation, and lowering blood pressure.
- Enhanced Intuition – We receive guidance all day every day, but in the hustle and bustle world we live in, it’s difficult to notice it. When you meditate, you open yourself to your inner guidance and the clearer the message becomes. Learn to listen to this voice and trust its guidance.
So set aside your 5-10 minutes a day to relax, observe, become mindful and aware and witness the amazing power of mediation. OM on baby!